Skip to main content

TIFU by ignoring potentially fraudulent debit card charges

This happened today and I've learned my lesson! This also probably isn't as serious as some other fuck ups, and the only consequences were to myself. Hopefully I'll be able to laugh about this later, but right now, I'm definitely frustrated. I was updating my budget tracker, looking through my recent purchases, when I noticed one that I was pretty sure I didn't actually make.

I had come across this before, but brushed it off. Turns out that was a mistake. 💀

Today however, my brain finally rang an alarm bell. I had purchased, in May of this year, a plushie Artemis 2 mascot from this website called GetVanoir. They had repeatedly been charging me $29.99 on a monthly basis.

Now, you can probably see where this is going.

I did some investigating today, as my friend had also purchased one, and asked her to see if she'd recently come across any charges. She said she had and that they'd been charging her for a membership. She'd had to cancel it via their website, which (thank God) is not hard.

Apparently, GetVanoir signs you up involuntarily for a membership if you make a purchase, which they only mention at the very bottom of the order confirmation in tiny, tiny fine print. I only discovered this today after looking up the order confirmation to check if there was anything about this membership I'd involuntarily signed up for. There was, and it's a very CYA if anyone tries to sue them.

I sent Support a very strongly worded email, which I knew would be useless as they would not give me money back. As we're all aware, it's now October. I made the purchase in May. If you're doing some quick math, they took $210 dollars from me. For some people, this might not be a big deal, and I work full-time, so I'm lucky, but I don't make ✨that✨ much money. That $210 dollars could've gone to gas or groceries- instead it went to this asshole company that takes your money by signing you up for a membership after you make a purchase.

Disclaimer- I know that I'm lucky that I caught it this early, and that there are worse scams out there. But mostly I wanted to share this to warn others to be wary about random online purchasing websites. They're getting smarter, and it's low-key scary.

Anyways, beware of any purchases you make from any not the usual sites that you buy from. They just might secretly sign you up for a membership and steal your money from you. 🤩

TL;DR I made a purchase that came with a semi-concealed membership I didn't want, which ended up costing me $210.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by plastering a permanent male appendage onto my brother’s wall.

I M17, plastered a massive one square meter schlong onto my brothers wall today. For revenge. Last week I woke up from a nice, calming dream and opened my eyes to see an A4 peice of paper taped on my roof that said “Fck you.” directly above my head. there was no reason behind it. When I confronted my brother about it his reasoning was that he was bored. I thought it ended at that, so I got my brother back by putting saran wrap around his door and I made paper chains with little insults written on each loop and I taped that to his roof. He simply laughed and asked if I “found them yet?” I was confused what he meant by that but he wouldn’t say anything else so I left it at that. A few days later. At 12:00 at night, a poster from my wall falls to the ground, and behind the poster is a note tapped to my wall. (Crazy coincidence, it’s like my bedroom purposefully uncovered the note) The note had “tickle my urethra.” Written on it. I then decided to check behind a poster next to it to see ...