- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
I (37F) and my youngest (10M) “Sam” were looking for Halloween costume ideas, when we came upon a picture of people dressed as Yip Yips.
For the uninitiated, Yip Yips are Sesame Street muppets (technically called the Martians), that look at ordinary objects and say “yip yip yip yip yip” “oooooooooooooohhhh” “uh huuuuuuuh” “yip yip yip yip yip” over and over and over again. They’re delightfully annoying.
Anyway. Sam had never seen Yip Yips before, so I pulled up a video, and promptly unlocked a new stim that has already thrown my household into chaos.
I have 4 kids. 2 of them have Tourette’s, and Sam is not one of them… however, he’s the sort of kid who does random Mario jumps at the grocery store, says “it’s a me-ya” and makes Pac Man “waka waka waka” noises at random, and gives not a singular shit if people stare. He’s honestly the best, and I love his antics.
His siblings do not always feel the same way. Tics tend to trigger more tics, and while the “yips” are not tics, they’re still repetitive…
So now this fun thing has happened where the whole house is breaking out into random yips. You’d think it would be fun, except the whole house is also prone to overstimulation, and now my daughter (12F) has barricaded herself in her room and Sam has started getting upset at other people yipping because he thinks they’re doing it to tease him. Cue the tears only to be consoled by “ooooooooh… sad. Saaaaad yip yip yip yip yip yip”.
Now I’m in damage control mode, and there is a very real chance Sam and I will have to trick or treat just the two of us to keep the peace. I’m going to have to make the costumes in secret so not to set anyone off again, but the toothpaste has left the tube. There is no going back.
TLDR; I showed my kid a video of Yip Yips, and my whole house is either yipping or losing their minds about it.
Comments
Post a Comment