Skip to main content

TIFU by showing up to work late, which got me fired

Obligatory didn't happen today but a few years ago.

When I was 19 I got a job working for a company that held after school and summer clubs. When interviewing for the job I made sure to let my boss know that due to being in part time education, I would be an hour late every other Monday and Thursday on alternating weeks. I was working 3-6, Monday through Thursday. She said this was fine as long as I logged my hours properly at the end of the month for my payslip.

For some general context, I had two coworkers, who I will call Mallissa and James, both were early to mid 20s. Mallissa had also just been hired so James was our "manager" while at work. There were also a couple teachers from the school who would sometimes help run the club, but on no real schedule. Part of the job was showing up 10-15 minutes to set up the tables and note the register for the day so you could sign kids off as they came in. James and I were the ones to do this as Mallissa got a job working as a TA at the school shortly after we started, so would usually be 5 minutes late.

On to the actual story. I started work in Spetember and had been enjoying myself, the work was stressful but fun. Some time in January/Febuary I noticed that James hadn't come in, when I asked Mallissa about this she told me he had been temporarly moved to another school on Monday's as they were short staffed. Besides thinking it was odd I hadn't been told about the change in schedule sooner, I shrugged it off and kept working. Well some of you may had noticed an issue with this, unfortunatly I hadn't until the Sunday before my next shift. When realising there was no one to set up the club the next day I texted my boss the issue. Unfortunatly I don't have the texts anymore but she informed me that it was too late of notice and I had to be there. I told her I'd be there but reminded her that I was still in school and would be late some days. I called off sick from school to show up to work. The next day when I saw James I told him about the problem, he ensured me he would talk to our boss and find someone to be there to set up on Mondays. He said if there was any issue, he'd let me know.

Here is where I fucked up, I never followed up on this. As the next Monday I would be late to approached I didn't bring the issue up with anyone (this was about a month later, due to various reasons I would sometimes not be in school, so be able to show to work on time). I had assumed that my original reminders were enough, as well as being young and too scared to message my boss again to ensure the shift was covered. The Monday arrived, I was in class so my phone was turned off but when I got on the bus to get to work I checked it and saw various texts and missed calls from my boss and coworkers asking where I was. I felt my stomach drop. I don't think I replied to any of them, just did the 30 minute journey in pure stress before getting to the school. I get in and two of the teachers were there looking pissed but trying to hide it as I explained what had happened and apologising. They were covering me and just told me to go home. The next day my boss was already planning on coming in to do some check ins with us to see how we were enjoying the job. Safe to say I wasn't looking forward to work the next day.

The day arrived and I was the last member of staff she was speaking to, so I just had to spend an hour trying to do my job like I didn't feel like throwing up. She sits me down and asks about yesterday, I explain and she tells me how she thought that being late on those specific days ended after Christmas. I still have no idea why she thought that, I don't remember if she asked, but if she had asked in the original interview when I finished school but I would have said May/April not Christmas. For context she was a real "our jobs a family" type, was very good at seeming friendly but was not genuine. So this entire meeting was very sternly friendly with little empathy, if that makes sense. She then started listing small issues other members of staff had about me, the two I remember were one from James who said a got in a mood whenever hearing we would be having a full class of 40 kids, and that he dreaded me asking how many kids we had because of that (I probably did do this to an extent, I would ask how many kids we had that day for setting out chairs and would react to the number if it was high as dealing with lots of kids is stressful). The other was a conversation I had with one of the teachers where I talked about how I was leaving after this school year as I was going off to university (I still don't get what her issue with this was, i wasn't complaining about the job just talking about my future plans). She then said the day prior was an example of "gross misconduct" and that along with them needing someone to work full hours she would have to let me go. I started tearing up at this and she made a comment about how this was all a shame because I clearly liked the job, I don't know why but that sentance stuck with me. She said I would be paid for the next week of work but I could choose how many of those days to actually come to work for and sent me home early. I ended up just coming in the next day as I couldn't stomach doing much more then that. I didn't tell any of the kids I was leaving, I felt too guilty and ashamed, I just made sure to talk to everyone and be extra nice. Some of my favorite kids weren't in that day and I still feel bad I never got to say goodbye to them.

I still think about the situation from time to time, from being pissed she fired me over one fuck up to being pissed younger me didn't just send my boss a single text, avoiding all of it.

TL;DR: my boss changed the schedules and fired me when I didn't show up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by plastering a permanent male appendage onto my brother’s wall.

I M17, plastered a massive one square meter schlong onto my brothers wall today. For revenge. Last week I woke up from a nice, calming dream and opened my eyes to see an A4 peice of paper taped on my roof that said “Fck you.” directly above my head. there was no reason behind it. When I confronted my brother about it his reasoning was that he was bored. I thought it ended at that, so I got my brother back by putting saran wrap around his door and I made paper chains with little insults written on each loop and I taped that to his roof. He simply laughed and asked if I “found them yet?” I was confused what he meant by that but he wouldn’t say anything else so I left it at that. A few days later. At 12:00 at night, a poster from my wall falls to the ground, and behind the poster is a note tapped to my wall. (Crazy coincidence, it’s like my bedroom purposefully uncovered the note) The note had “tickle my urethra.” Written on it. I then decided to check behind a poster next to it to see ...