Skip to main content

TIFU by not cleaning my toothbrush holder

TIFU by lighting a gas water heater with a blocked nose

This happened about a year ago, but I still think about it.

I had a bad cold and my nose was completely blocked. My mom asked me to go turn on the geyser (gas water heater) so we could have hot water. Normal thing, I've done it a hundred times.

What I didn't know was that the geyser had a gas leak. Normally you'd smell it right away, but my nose was so blocked I couldn't smell anything at all.

So I lit the matchstick.

There was a blast, and the whole kitchen caught fire. My mom came running, soaked a towel in water and put the fire out. Meanwhile I ran straight to the bathroom and stood under a cold shower because the burning pain was unbearable.

After that my skin turned purple and dark navy blue. Then the skin on my face basically peeled off. I was on bed rest for a whole month and could barely walk because everything hurt so much.

Slowly, new pink skin came in where the old skin was. It took a long time, but I'm fully healed now, and honestly I'm just grateful it wasn't worse. Also huge respect to my mom for staying calm and handling the fire.

The lesson I learned the hard way: if you're sick and can't smell, don't be the one to light anything gas-related. Ask someone else to check for a leak first, or open the windows and wait a bit.

TL;DR: Had a cold and couldn't smell, lit a geyser that was leaking gas, it exploded and set the kitchen on fire. Mom put it out with a wet towel, I jumped in a cold shower, spent a month on bed rest. Fully healed now. Get your gas lines checked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by plastering a permanent male appendage onto my brother’s wall.

I M17, plastered a massive one square meter schlong onto my brothers wall today. For revenge. Last week I woke up from a nice, calming dream and opened my eyes to see an A4 peice of paper taped on my roof that said “Fck you.” directly above my head. there was no reason behind it. When I confronted my brother about it his reasoning was that he was bored. I thought it ended at that, so I got my brother back by putting saran wrap around his door and I made paper chains with little insults written on each loop and I taped that to his roof. He simply laughed and asked if I “found them yet?” I was confused what he meant by that but he wouldn’t say anything else so I left it at that. A few days later. At 12:00 at night, a poster from my wall falls to the ground, and behind the poster is a note tapped to my wall. (Crazy coincidence, it’s like my bedroom purposefully uncovered the note) The note had “tickle my urethra.” Written on it. I then decided to check behind a poster next to it to see ...