Skip to main content

TIFU by seeing a call on my dad's phone and answering.

So, on Tuesday, my dad (67) was in the bathroom. I heard his phone ringing, and glanced at it - see, I thought it was a legit call as the phone is set to block calls from non-verified / unknown numbers. It got through, but sometimes spam gets through. The caller ID said it was verified - and the number was from the medical centre in town..So I think “Oh crap. I better take this and hand it to him” so I answer the phone for him so I can say I can put him on.

…What was on the other side was an obvious deepfake promoting someone's election run. It isn't even a person on the other side, so I don't get the fun of putting the phone under a metal bowl and banging the bowl with a spoon.

However, that was all it took to apparently get my dad’s phone number put onto a database of “A real person answered this number - Spam them". Because within a few hours, my dad's phone got another call from the same number and it was more political canvassing. He hangs up and then another call. Then another. And another. His phone is also getting absolutely FLOODED with texts on top of this. When he puts it on a table, it’s practically dancing around like those electric football games.

By Thursday? His phone is just ringing non stop. And I mean almost literally NON STOP. Literally, at one point he was getting so many phone calls and text messages it overrode the “do not disturb” setting. Several times. His voicemail box was full in a day. You look at the call log? Almost all of them are from local offices of doctors, lawyers, contractors, even restaurants.

All of them leave voice mail messages about upcoming elections using obvious AI deepfake voices. Some of them are just a deepfake of a generic person, but some are also celebrities who are apparently campaigning for people they would never promote. My dad literally got a call from a Ringo Starr deepfake promoting an election.

While typing this? He got four calls. There’s just no end to them. He’s going to have to get his phone number changed due to this merciless barrage of spam calls.

tldr? I answered thinking it was a doctor's office calling dad, but it put his number on a list so now he is getting flooded with political robocalls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by plastering a permanent male appendage onto my brother’s wall.

I M17, plastered a massive one square meter schlong onto my brothers wall today. For revenge. Last week I woke up from a nice, calming dream and opened my eyes to see an A4 peice of paper taped on my roof that said “Fck you.” directly above my head. there was no reason behind it. When I confronted my brother about it his reasoning was that he was bored. I thought it ended at that, so I got my brother back by putting saran wrap around his door and I made paper chains with little insults written on each loop and I taped that to his roof. He simply laughed and asked if I “found them yet?” I was confused what he meant by that but he wouldn’t say anything else so I left it at that. A few days later. At 12:00 at night, a poster from my wall falls to the ground, and behind the poster is a note tapped to my wall. (Crazy coincidence, it’s like my bedroom purposefully uncovered the note) The note had “tickle my urethra.” Written on it. I then decided to check behind a poster next to it to see ...