Skip to main content

TIFU by trusting ChatGPT to recap one episode of Breaking Bad

I thought asking ChatGPT to remind me what happened in an episode was basically impossible to screw up.
Apparently not.
I recently started watching Breaking Bad for the first time. I had only watched Episode 1.
I asked ChatGPT to give me a detailed recap of Episode 1 because I wanted to make sure I remembered everything correctly. I also specifically told it that I had only watched Episode 1 and that I did NOT want any spoilers from later episodes.
Pretty simple, right?
Well, it started talking about Crazy-8 and some events that I had absolutely no memory of seeing.
So I told it, "I didn't see that scene."
Instead of realizing it might have mixed up the episodes, ChatGPT confidently explained that Crazy-8 was still alive and that Walt had him locked in a basement.
A basement.
At this point I genuinely started wondering if I had somehow skipped part of the episode.
I questioned it again because I knew something wasn't right.
And it STILL kept going.
Eventually, ChatGPT admitted that the basement stuff was actually from Episode 2.
So I basically got an Episode 2 spoiler while specifically asking for a recap of Episode 1, after explicitly telling it that Episode 1 was the only episode I'd watched.
And the worst part is that I actually believed it for a moment. I was sitting there thinking, "Did I seriously miss this?"
Nope. ChatGPT was just confidently wrong.
I know it's just a TV show, and yes, there are obviously bigger problems in the world. But watching a show for the first time is about discovering what happens as you go. I specifically tried to avoid spoilers and somehow managed to get one by asking an AI to help me avoid them.
So yeah, TIFU by trusting ChatGPT with the incredibly difficult task of remembering ONE episode without spoiling the next one.
Lesson learned: apparently I need to tell ChatGPT which episode I've watched, which episode I haven't watched, and then fact-check it when it tells me I apparently hallucinated an entire scene.
I'm still pissed about it.

TL;DR: I asked ChatGPT to recap Episode 1 of Breaking Bad without spoiling anything past it. It confidently gave me an Episode 2 spoiler, doubled down when I questioned it, and now I know something I was supposed to discover myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by plastering a permanent male appendage onto my brother’s wall.

I M17, plastered a massive one square meter schlong onto my brothers wall today. For revenge. Last week I woke up from a nice, calming dream and opened my eyes to see an A4 peice of paper taped on my roof that said “Fck you.” directly above my head. there was no reason behind it. When I confronted my brother about it his reasoning was that he was bored. I thought it ended at that, so I got my brother back by putting saran wrap around his door and I made paper chains with little insults written on each loop and I taped that to his roof. He simply laughed and asked if I “found them yet?” I was confused what he meant by that but he wouldn’t say anything else so I left it at that. A few days later. At 12:00 at night, a poster from my wall falls to the ground, and behind the poster is a note tapped to my wall. (Crazy coincidence, it’s like my bedroom purposefully uncovered the note) The note had “tickle my urethra.” Written on it. I then decided to check behind a poster next to it to see ...