Skip to main content

TIFU - I drove into a bridge

Edit:non-cdl but big

I’m not a truck driver. I’m just an operations manager for a small company. I’ve only been working there for a month, and I’ve already relocated for the job ahead of my wife and kids. This is only the second time I’ve ever driven a big (non-cdl) reefer truck.

The first time, my employer asked me to drive across town to pick up a pallet of product. This time, my employer had promised that we’d have product delivered to the airport early in the morning. He hadn’t booked a truck and was desperate to get it there. The airport is 1 hour and 45 minutes away.
Well, he finally asked me if I’d do it, and I reluctantly said yes. I have absolutely zero truck-driving training and know nothing about driving these things.

I made it to the airport, but when I was leaving, I missed my turn. My GPS routed me in a different direction. I was just cruising along when, all of a sudden, I felt a huge lurch. I had driven under a train bridge, and it quite literally ripped the top off the truck, leaving it looking like a sardine can.
Thankfully, no one was hurt.

The crazy thing is that an autobody shop was right next to me when it happened. Everyone came out and cleaned up all the debris before the cops arrived. While they were sweeping up, I called the police to report the accident and called the truck rental company. It turns out the insurance on the truck had expired, so I had to get new paperwork while dealing with the cop and pedestrians gawking at me.

No one asked if I was okay. They just pulled out their phones and started taking pictures.

I eventually got the insurance issue sorted out, but I was cited for reckless driving, even though I literally knew nothing about driving trucks. I was just trying to do a favor for the business owner.

At one point, I was sitting on a little concrete ledge with my head in my hands. Then some random guy pulled over, got out of his car, and came to sit next to me. He put his arm around my shoulder and told me he’d actually done the exact same thing before. He told me that no matter what, I’d be okay and life would go on. He gave me $5 and told me to buy myself a cup of coffee when I got the chance.

He literally felt like an angel!

I had to take an Uber back to work, which was two hours away, and I was basically having a meltdown the entire way.

Now I have to make a court appearance. I have no record and have never been to court before, so I’m definitely freaking out about that.

TL;DR: I drove my employer’s rented reefer truck into a bridge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by plastering a permanent male appendage onto my brother’s wall.

I M17, plastered a massive one square meter schlong onto my brothers wall today. For revenge. Last week I woke up from a nice, calming dream and opened my eyes to see an A4 peice of paper taped on my roof that said “Fck you.” directly above my head. there was no reason behind it. When I confronted my brother about it his reasoning was that he was bored. I thought it ended at that, so I got my brother back by putting saran wrap around his door and I made paper chains with little insults written on each loop and I taped that to his roof. He simply laughed and asked if I “found them yet?” I was confused what he meant by that but he wouldn’t say anything else so I left it at that. A few days later. At 12:00 at night, a poster from my wall falls to the ground, and behind the poster is a note tapped to my wall. (Crazy coincidence, it’s like my bedroom purposefully uncovered the note) The note had “tickle my urethra.” Written on it. I then decided to check behind a poster next to it to see ...